Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC

From: Yves de Champlain
Subject: Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:41:38 -0400

Le 07-03-18 à 12:11, David Ayers a écrit :

Yves de Champlain schrieb:

Le 07-03-18 à 05:57, David Ayers a écrit :

BTW, it seems the only way to build libffi with gcc is to build java
(just objc won't do).

Hmm... that's related to a patch I dropped...  I wanted to submit a
patch to have libffi build as a target library  after I submitted the
patch to have boehm-gc be build with libobjc with garbage collection
without having to build java.

But then I had decided that making libffi a target library is not really
the final solution.  The solution would be to implement message
forwarding in libobjc proper.

But I still think that you should be able to build libffi stand alone...
at least you used to be able to...

/me updates gcc tree
/me creates a build directory
/me invokes '../trunk/libffi/configure'
/me invokes 'make' (not make bootstrap!)

and libffi builds... now 'make check' indeed fails as I believe it does
require building the full gcc tree.  Also I did not install it.  But
what issues did you have building libffi without gcc?

My issue was trying to have libffi built along with gcc without building gcj (which is sooooo long to compile). It's not so important now because I happened to also need gcj since then :-) It's just that I thought --enable-languages=objc should trigger libffi even though java is not built.

Thanks for all the precisions.

yves