Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:18:00 +0200

On Mar 23, 2007, at 17:50, hns@computer.org wrote:
There is no problem to expect with that. Both implement the documented
WebView and WebFrame API in two different frameworks. You can link to
either one in your applications (there is IMHO no reason to have both
in a single application).

Well, I disagree with that and its exactly what I'm concerned about. Since the API is *not* the same (the implemented HTML is obviously part of the API in this case!), the code should be able to select which implementation it needs.

And since an application can be composed from different frameworks (say an RSS framework and a browser framework), its also extremely useful to have both in one application. In fact I expect that a lot of frameworks and apps will use HTML plugins instead of native GUI elements over time (sometime SimpleWebKit might be perfect for). Just check NewsFire or Adium.

If you only want to build two versions of a web browser, it doesn't matter. But if you want to integrate an HTML engine in an app and use it as a core component, it matters a lot.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess