Re: FYI: another great OpenSource Cocoa app waiting to be ported to GNUs

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: FYI: another great OpenSource Cocoa app waiting to be ported to GNUstep
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:42:00 +0200

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
> "If you desire a simple, low-pressure writing environment, try Bean."
>
> http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

I had a quick look at the code of Bean. It wont compile with current
GNUstep code. This is mostly due to the use of CoreFoundation code to
access some MacOSX specific functionality. Also uses of isEqualTo:
instead of isEqual: and of Apple Script functionality. This would need
to be commented out to be usable with GNUstep. There is also now and
then a use of an ISO C99 feature, but this should be easy to handle.

There is also heavy usage of the following:

float  ratioPaperSize;
ratioPaperSize = nil;

GCC wont accept treating nil as a float and every single case would need
to be commented out or replaced with 0.0. (All cases I checked where
totally unnecessary, which is a sign of rather bad code)

There is one missing AppKit class getting used: NSShadow.
This needs to be added to GNUstep. I think a minimal implementation
would be sufficient.

What is worse is the functionality expected from some Foundation and
AppKit classes. (NSTextView, NSFontManager, NSString, NSParagraphStyle,
NSMutableParagraphStyle, NSLayoutManager, NSDocument, NSData,
NSWorkspace, NSDateFormatter, NSToolbar)
Most of these methods hould be easy to add (myStep already has code
here), but what is expected on NSAttributedString cannot be provided.
All the reading and writing of MS Word format is used from the MacOSX
10.4 libraries. We wont be able to match these with our own
implementation. With that missing Bean wont be worth the while.