RE: Obscure rotation problem in base-1.14/gui-0.12

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: Obscure rotation problem in base-1.14/gui-0.12
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:11:58 -0700

Fred Kiefer [mailto:fredkiefer@gmx.de] wrote:

> I was able to track down the problem into the image.m file of the art
backend.

Thanks a lot for prompt response! I spent the whole day yesterday
getting progressively
gloomier as I could not understand what went wrong or what the
difference was.

> cairo did it already correctly

I had no luck with cairo so far - just white or black rectangles
instead of windows. I need to check the configuration.

> What I then did was to replace the appendTransform call there with
prependTransform: and this fixed your problem.
> The strange thing about this change is that it undoes something that
wasn't changed recently, but three years ago.
> So I don't have a glue, why it worked for you with the last GNUstep
release.
> Perhaps some other fix on NSAffineTransform made this error visible
and up to then it was needed?

Yes, this is quite strange. I was looking for a difference in the old
and new
implementation of NSAffineTransform and the only thing I found was in
-transformSize:
which now can return negative sizes.

This was, by the way, a counterintuitive change.
I wonder whether the old behavior was always different from NeXT or we
fall for
every Apple's move. While looking yesterday I also noticed that in
NSView.m
for every call of -transformSize: there is now code that flips negative
height,
but not the width. It looks strange, but I'm not sure it's a bug.

Thanks again!
Tima