Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:14:00 -0700

On 25 Jun., 17:22, Zhang Weiwu <zhangwe...@realss.com> wrote:
> I have read on the web that work is in progress to build a framwork
> for web rendering for whole GNUStep including building a browser
> (vespucci). I am glad GNUStep developers are working on a GNUStep
> browser. But as a novice user I have a question: as described on the
> webpage, "Apple has not released it's WebKit under open source so
> GNUstep WebKit provides a WebKit implementation from scratch."

No, that is neither true nor the reason. WebKit from Apple is open
source.
If it is written somewhere so that it can be misunderstood, please can
you provide a link so that we can fix it?

The main reson is to have it homogenously written in Objective-C not
requiring the most modern gcc to handle Objective-C++ and to leave
out some less frequently used features to make it smaller so that it
runs
more easily on memory constrained devices like PDAs and Mobile Phones
but is still compatible from API.

-- hns