Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:00:21 +0100

On 8/3/07, Fabien VALLON <fabien@sonappart.net> wrote:
> On Fri, August 3, 2007 12:32 pm, Andreas Höschler wrote:
> > Hi Fabien,
> >

> >> GNUstep runs after Cocoa since 8 years.
> >> What does it gain for Open Source users?
> >> Nothing !

Come on... what do you mean it gains nothing ? GNUstep made a lot of
progresses, it's usable. It's not bug-free, there's also a lot left to
do, but you can use it to write apps..
And as a free software users, we are better off with GNUstep existing
than without, no ?
So what exactly is your point ?

> > But we are living in a real world with companies slowly starting to
> > wonder whether using Wintel is really such a good idea, with CEOs
> > trying to secure investments in large software projects. These guys (at
> > least a few) like the idea of open source, the gurantee that no company
> > of the world can drop a product from a market and thus render very
> > expensive software aquisitions/developments useless. Now we have Open
> > Source combined with the efficiency of OPENSTEP/Objective-C, combined
> > with build and run on almost any platform. That is something!
>
> Unusable from a desktop point of view.

Well, it seems that Andreas *is* using GNUstep on the desktop.. and in
a corporate environment to boot. Personally I'd love have more
informations about his general setup.
And his general point is just that OpenSource software brings more
stability/long term view to IT management, that's all -- hardly a wild
idea.

--
Nicolas Roard
"La perfection, ce n'est pas quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, c'est