Re: universal binaries

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: universal binaries
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:19:51 +0100

Hello,

(...)
> Nope. Libraries are FAT binaries in a single file, just like
> executables. Once the runtime-linker gets asked to load a library, it
> opens the file, looks at the header (if present), sets the offset
> according to the current architecture and works from there.

Yes, I know that, I was refering to the arch/OS/libc/runtime
non-flatenned directory structure.

(...)
> Users stop having questions about what architecture to choose and
> distributions melt down to a single disk for all type of computers.

I would think that the installation CD's would be specific for each
application, since not all OS binaries are fat binaries. The
applications themselves, sure, that's the advantage, a single download
and it runs in a selection of OS/CPU combinations.

As I said I'm not against the idea, much the contrary. It is however
something that to me sounds better than the real advantages it would
bring for GNUstep. That doesn't mean that it's not worth having
though, it's something I've been keeping an eye on for some time.

Regards,

Frederico Muñoz