Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable developme

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:30:51 +0000

On Nov 13, 2007 2:16 PM, Mark Grice <markjoel60@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, valid points. One thing I want to emphasize is that I am NOT
> suggesting that GNUStep supports MDI. Lord forbid!
>
> I don't think that is necessary for widespread adoption (Mac seems to
> have done OK without it :-) But a single horizontal menu bar seems to
> be the accepted practice of all non-Redmond users, and the direction
> of Cocoa.
>
> So.. maybe a good compromise would be dialog boxes and not widgets? I
> can live with different widgets... (Maybe even some sort of a widget
> editor where I can recreate the widgets used if I want to?)
>
> But dialog boxes are a prime example of what would be better if it
> were native. For example: Ubuntu has Samba, which allows me to get to
> the windows drives on my network. It also allows me to view thumbnails
> of the graphic images. Their file dialog box supports these out of the
> box... As a developer, it would be nice if my file chooser
> automatically gave these kinds of options to my end users. I am
> assuming that the native GNUStep does not, because when I run the
> examples, I can neither see thumbnails of images, nor can I access my
> SMB files... But that may be ignorance on my part...

Yes, file chooser should use the native one.
For horizontal menus embedded in windows, there was a bundle providing
that automatically,
but it was kinda of a hack. I would prefer to let the developers
create different nibs
for different platforms, so that each could follow properly the
platform guidelines..

--
Nicolas Roard