Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable developme

From: Renaud Molla
Subject: Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:57:53 +0100

(...) I personally have no problem with "non-native"
look of an application in an "environment" as long as the application itself is cool and powerful.

I think everybody on this mailing list knows that there are GNUstep users that do not really care about that.
However there are people who care on the list, and the outside world cares about it too.

I'm afraid that changing widgets would require additional porting effort
when switching to another platform.

I'd prefer create a NIB for X11, Windows and Mac OS X so that it looks good on these platform than
not being able to look good on anyone.

People discarding GNUstep for wxWidgets, GTK+, Qt are ready to code more for their interface,
so they wouldn't be afraid if they needed to redo a NIB file.

Actually, this is the same with localization, you have to duplicate NIBs and maintain them, but
reaching more users is at stake.