Re: No FOSDEM 2008 stand/devroom this year: new Plans for GNUstep-Dev-Me

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: No FOSDEM 2008 stand/devroom this year: new Plans for GNUstep-Dev-Meeting & How to attract General Public?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:17:11 +0100

Am 28.11.2007 um 17:19 schrieb Nicolas Roard:
Anyway, the past years we got a stand/devroom by asking for a shared one for GNUstep/OpenGroupware.org. Did you ask for that ? If not, it might be worth going back to them politely and checking again ? We really want one,
else most of us won't be attending FOSDEM.

From the sound of the reply, it sounded like they refused both the
devroom and the stand.
Still, I find it hard that they can't get us a spare table and a few
chairs :-/ -- it might be worth
asking only for that.

If you remember how crowded the stands are, I think they have mainly a space (and security?) problem.

Just a new idea: does anyone have a larger recreational vehicle plus a Tent?

Then, we could even have our own booth outside of the building, sell warm food (GNUstep cakes) and hot tea (GNUstep teacups)?

Doing this is quite common for larger fairs (CeBIT, GSM World Congress, etc.)...

Some years ago I helped SIEMENS who had rented a full corsica car ferry ship for the GSM World Congress in Cannes:
http://www.guidaviaggi.it/detail.lasso?id=48335

Well, we do not need a full truck but some small vehicle could suffice.

What other opportunities do we have to meet in a larger free software environment ? It's nice to not just discuss GNUstep but also go around and see what other people
are doing.

It may be more interesting/worthwhile for us to organize a developer
meeting, like AlpenStep, but
around feb/march/april ?

Yes, I have proposed to organize such a Developer-Workshop somewhere near Frankfurt after Easter vacation, i.e. End of March/April (longer days, not so cold weather).

Nikolaus