RE: problem porting sogo to use gnustep-make 2

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: problem porting sogo to use gnustep-make 2
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:21:57 +0100 (CET)

> I have got sope and sogo working now with only touching the GNUmakefiles and
> the ./configure scripts. I create a central config.make file where I define
> the main path variables, depending on either installation into GNUstep or
> FHS filesystem layout. So changing these is already ten times easier as it
> was before where these paths were set in many places.

I can see the reason for this - but are you sure this is the easiest approach ?
;-)

It might be easier to leave the existing FHS hacks in place without changes (so
you don't break the existing packaging etc), and make the small changes to the
GNUmakefiles to have them work with gnustep-make v2 (this shouldn't break
anything - the changes should be backwards-compatible with gnustep-make v1). ;-)

Then you only need to update the ObjC code to look up things in the right place
when running on gnustep-base/gnustep-make v2 (my ObjC patches should do most
of it) and it should all work (and wouldn't break anything unless gnustep-base
is being used, in which case it should work more generally). :-)

Later on, once the gnustep-make v2 support is all working, the FHS hacks could
be removed completely in favour of the gnustep-make v2 FHS support. :-)

Anyway, it looks like you're doing it differently - might even be a better
solution - let us know how it goes. :-)

Thanks