Central GNUstep software index?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Central GNUstep software index?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:41:59 -0700 (PDT)

One key problem of GNUstep is IMHO that it is quite difficult to find
application software projects. There is GAP, some other (partially
abandoned) projects and some announcements apear here on this list
from time to time.

I don't know why I didn't have the idea earlier to set up a central
resource to collect all these apps (and libs). It should be easy to
use for someone who searches something and easy to use for authors.
Something like

www.versiontracker.com
www.macupdate.com
www.killefiz.de

And the good thing is that I already have a PHP/MySQL package that
suits this need. About 2 years ago I did "clone" the killefiz approach
and run it as the Sharp Zaurus software index at

http://www.handheld-linux.com/swi/

It has the following features:

* versioning (there is a trace from/to older versions)
* upload of screenshots
* links to binary packages, sources, project homepage (checked online
for availability)
* users can register and set reminders if updates become available (e-
mail notice)
* registered users can comment
* everyone can suggest fixes and corrections
* changes are made public only after approval by 'managers'
* there can be multiple 'managers'

So what I propose is that I donate the PHP scripts to the GNUstep
project to set up such a "GNUstep App Store".

I could host it myself, but it would be better if it is hosted as part
of the www.gnustep.org domain.

What you would have to do is to add your software (applications an
even librarie/frameworks) to the repositiory and use it as an
announcement/marketing tool for new versions. It is really easy to
use: creating a fresh entry needs less than 5-10 minutes (depending on
the size of the description).

What do you think about this proposal?

With best regards,
Nikolaus