Cross-dev with gnustep make and xCode

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Cross-dev with gnustep make and xCode
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:59:41 +0200

Hi all,

I have been successfully using gnustep make and ProjectBuilderWO.app on MacOSX 10.2.8 for a couple of years. I used ProjectBuilderWO.app to edit files and to build applications and gnustep make to build frameworks and bundles on MacOSX and Solaris and I used gnustep make to build applications on Solairs. This worked great.

I now have to migrate from MacOSX 10.2.8 to MacOSX 10.5 and need a new cross platform development solution. I first copied my framework project directories to the MacOSX 10.5 (Intel) machine and just entered "make install". I was surprised to see that the frameworks built without a problem, though with a lot of weird warnings. I not even tried to build the applications with gnustep make, since this did not even work on 10.2.8. So I created a Cocoa application project with xCode and tried to link against the frameworks built with gnustep make. This worked with debug as the target but failed with release as the target. There I got an eror message "framework are not compatible, other platform". In the next step I tried to build the frameworks with xCode as well, but the frameworks generated by xCode do not include a Heades dir and thus are useless. :-(

Is it possible to get along without xCode at all and build everything (even applications) with gnustep make on MacOSX 10.5? And if not how can I convince gnustep make and xCode to cooperate? Can I continue to build the frameworks with gnustep make and only the apps with xCode?

Hints are greatly appreciated! I am starting to hate 10.5 ... :-(

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

  Andreas