Clang Update

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Clang Update
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 19:30:51 +0100

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update on my progress getting clang/LLVM to support Objective-C code generation on the GNU runtime. As of the patch I just sent for review, the following work:

- Class, protocol and category declarations / definitions.
- Message sends to classes and objects. Selectors are not yet cached, so these are slow.
- @protocol() and @encode().

The following are still to do:

- Message sends to super.
- Constant Objective-C strings.
- ObjectiveC 2.0 stuff (including @synchronized)

I'd like to start testing compiling GNUstep with clang in the next week or so. I seem to remember having problems persuading GNUstep Make to use a different compiler to the default one in the past. Can someone tell me what I need to do to try building -base (for example) with a different compiler?

David