Re: GNUstep.conf or source ?

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: GNUstep.conf or source ?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 12:18:59 -0700 (PDT)

Richard Frith-Macdonald-2 wrote:

> On 20 May 2008, at 19:22, Rubens_Septimus wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Something I'm trying to understand : I build several things
>> (gnustep-startup, GWorkspace) and all seemed to get well done.
>> After that, I tried to load GWorkspace. But openapp was not found
>> and it
>> failed.
>> I had to add the source GNUstep.sh in my .bashrc to be able to launch
>> GWorkspace : after that, I can launch it from an Xterm with either
>> method :
>>
>> GWorkspace
>> openapp /usr/GNUstep/System/Applications/GWorkspace.app
>> /usr/GNUstep/System/Applications/GWorkspace.app/GWorkspace
>>
>> But, if I try to do it from a docked icon within WindowMaker, it
>> complains
>> that the execution of the command failed with either method...
>>
>> So I wonder :
>> 1°) Why I need to add the source GNUstep.sh in .bashrc to exec an
>> app while
>> it is said around to be necessary only to build it, not to exec it.
>
> At a guess ... because you have not installed GNUstep configured to
> use the native filesystem.
> If you aren't using the native filesystem layout, then you somehow
> have to tell your shell and window manager how to find libraries and
> executables (because they aren't where the shell is expecting to find
> them) ... so you either deal with that yourself, or you can source
> GNUstep.sh to do it (among other things).  Most likely windowmaker
> doesn't know how to find the libraries because it was started up
> before you sourced GNUstep.sh.
>
>> 2°) Why the /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf configuration file seems to be
>> useless.
>
> I'm sure it's being used (otherwise your apps wouldn't work properly
> even when you source GNUstep.sh).
> The GNUstep.conf file is used to tell GNUstep applications where to
> find their resources ... it's NOT used to tell your shell or window
> manager where to find libraries and executables (after all, your shell
> doesn't know anything about it).

Thanks Richard for these acknowledgments (not sure the word is good - I
apologize my poor English).
So if I understand well, I can work around :
- building all again with a --configure=something that choose the native
file-system : how ?
or
- changing the default X loading from GDM to deal with an xsession or an
xinit which source GNUstep.sh before loading wmaker. Maybe the best way,
because I want to try then with differents WindowManagers like Openbox and
then Azalea (But I don't know if Azalea is quite stable enough to a daily
use).

Patrick