Colour Corruption

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Colour Corruption
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:53:00 +0100

Hi,

I remember a while Andreas reported an issue when remote displaying a GNUstep app on a platform of with different endians (or whatever the grammatically correct variant of that phrase is). My MBP is currently broken, so I'm back on my PowerBook and experiencing the same issue. Using X forwarding from my (PowerPC, big-endian) PowerBook to my ThinkPad (x86, little-endian) I get strange colours. It seems something in the Cairo back end (I don't have any of the others installed anymore, so I can't test if this is a local issue) is not setting the byte order correctly.

On the plus side, apart from the blue tint, remote GNUstep performance seems to have improved dramatically. Last time I tried it, it was almost unusable on a local network with GigE. Now I'm using it between two machines on an 802.11g network and it's quite usable (enough lag that you can tell that it's not local, but not enough to actually be irritating). Many, many thanks to whoever fixed the latency issues. It is still redrawing a lot more than it needs to, but this X Server doesn't implement XDamage, so it might be a server issue.

David