Re: Problems in RTFConsumer using TimeMon.app on 64 bit system

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Problems in RTFConsumer using TimeMon.app on 64 bit system
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:40:17 +0100

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. Have been
rebuilding the system here and havent got around to a rebuild oif
GNustep until now...

> I don't use a 64 bit system, so it is quite likely that there are gui or
> back features not perfectly working on such a system.

In the main it seems to work O.K. - I rarely use it myself, but my
colleague that I delegated all GNUstep work to uses it all the
time and says he hasnt seen any problems.

> Form looking at the code itself I cannot see how this should result in
> an error even on a 64-bit machine, but of course your compiler sees it
> differently. :-)

It did surprise me - the usual places where 64bitness goes wrong is
at the low level. When I first looked at it there were a lot of
problems, but that was a number of years ago, and they seem to have
gone away.

> Would you mind to send me the compiler warnings you get for gui and I
> have a look what could be fixed?

Sure... (rusty memmory - thats 'gmake warn=yes' right?). This is
wiuth a cmpletely fresh checkout of GNUstep from 10 minutes ago:

In base there are comolaints that mframe hasnt been ported, followed
by these in the actual build. I know you asked for bui and back, but
i thought these might help too...

mframe.m: In function 'mframe_do_call':
mframe.m:908: warning: pointer type mismatch in conditional expression
callframe.m: In function 'callframe_do_call':
callframe.m:306: warning: pointer type mismatch in conditional expression
NSPredicate.m: In function '-[NSComparisonPredicate predicateFormat]':
NSPredicate.m:721: warning: enumeration value 'NSContainsPredicateOperatorType'
not handled in switch
NSPredicate.m:721: warning: enumeration value 'NSBetweenPredicateOperatorType'
not handled in switch
NSScanner.m:642:6: warning: #warning "Can't use long long variables."
GSFFCallInvocation.m: In function 'GSInvocationCallback':
GSFFCallInvocation.m:868: warning: value computed is not used

When compiking GNU the only warnings are:

NSTableView.m:96: warning: '__unused__' attribute ignored
NSWorkspace.m: In function '-[NSWorkspace mountedLocalVolumePaths]':
NSWorkspace.m:1573: warning: unused variable 'mgr'
GSspell.m: In function '-[GNUSpellChecker
spellServer:findMisspelledWordInString:language:wordCount:countOnly:]':
GSspell.m:83: warning: value computed is not used

And finaly in back (using art as a backend)

GSContext.m: In function '-[GSContext(Ops) GSDrawImage::]':
GSContext.m:848: warning: passing argument 1 of 'getBitmapDataPlanes:' from
incompatible pointer type
In file included from blit-main.m:267:
blit.m: In function 'b5g6r5_run_opaque':
blit.m:321: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
In file included from blit-main.m:304:
blit.m: In function 'b5g5r5a1_run_opaque':
blit.m:321: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
ftfont.m:1943: warning: 'charpath_funcs' defined but not used

Nothing there looks odd to me - and it has to be said that everything
works fine under GNustep apart from TimeMon. Gorm is quite capable of
opening the TimeMon .gorm and .nib files on its own.

-pete.