Re: NSProcessInfo -processorCount, -activeProcessorCount, -physicalMemor

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: NSProcessInfo -processorCount, -activeProcessorCount, -physicalMemory
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:49:54 +0000

> This too is a system specific solution, but at least we use glibc
> instead of doing the parsing ourselves. This should save us the problem
> of adopting to a new kernel every time.
>
> We still will need different solutions for non-Linux systems.

isn;'t there some kind of standard for these things ? Over in FreeBSD
land /proc has been depracated for a couple of years and no longer
appears by default. I dont ever look at this part of the kernel,
but I wwas under the imppression there was a rough set of standardised
calls to replace all this on Unix/BSD at least. So we could use /proc
on Linux/Plan9 style things and the aalternative on Unix/BSD system
maybe ?

-pete.[off to rummage in manuals]