Re: gui 'slow' with remote X ?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gui 'slow' with remote X ?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:09:17 +0100

Hi,

On 2008-11-24 08:58:17 +0100 Philippe Roussel <p.o.roussel@free.fr> wrote:

Nice to see there is another user. FOr me, besides, GTK2 is slow too.
Cairo and Art are going to be slow. No work around. Try the faithful xlib backend, which I use regularly. It will be faster, since instead of shuffling bitmaps, it lets the server do the work, like font drawing.

Well, I just make a quick test and xlib backend is really slow two,
maybe even slower than art, to display any widget. Are you using X over ssh or just exporting your display ? Not that it should change anything
but...

For me, gtk2 applications are quite usable.

I don't know what to tell you: for me it is very fine. I use regularly X11 export to access my various machines. Except for my laptop I do not use art but xlib. I think the speed is quite good, I can use GNUMail without problems. ProjectCenter, Ink... everything reasonably fine. Just applications that scroll are a pit a pain (like using PRICE). I also use it over 10Mbit ethernet without significant decrease. Wireless will be worse due to the latency.

I never liked GTK2, one of the reasons being its slow display export (and also buggyness when it comes to endianness and different displays during export).

I usually export by setting the display, thus I have different font caches and it is a tad faster, but export over SSH is pretty similar in terms of speed.

I can even use GWorkspace, but you need to disable the desktop and the Tabbed Shelf.

One thing will be awful though: scrolling. I think GNUstep is quite inefficient there, it makes a LOT of X11 calls, art is less affected when it uses xshm. On a slower machine you will see that X11 can sometimeseat up to 50% of your CPU for some operations..

That could be indeed. When running on a 120Mhz PPC, I observed once that Xfree was taking up to 60% of the cpu compared to the app itself... everything for a quite bad performance.

Riccardo