Re: Obscure timing issue

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Obscure timing issue
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:57:15 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:

The bigger issue is that the redraw takes so long. Here it could be that we draw too much, but it could also be that we just flush too much over to X. The first issue should be simple to detect, we just need to put a
write statement before the call to drawRect: in NSView and see whether
we try to do too much here. The second issue is a bit harder, here we
need to start off in NSWindow flushWindow and try to understand that
method as well as the draw rectangle handling in NSView and what the
graphics context does when flushing.

I've now had a look at that, too. Thanks to your hint with drawRect:,
it looks like the NSBrowser in the open panel is causing the main data
traffic. At first, I was suspecting that the browser redraws itself as
it resigns key view in favor of the clicked button. However, it looks
like the browser redraws itself also if it isn't key view. For instance,
if I shift the key view via the tab key, the browser appears to be
redrawn each time the key view changes.

Wolfgang