Re: ./configure --with-installation-domain

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: ./configure --with-installation-domain
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:53:57 +0100 (CET)

On 6 Jan 2009, at 23:32, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

Just so I'm clear, with make 2.0.8 and base 1.18.0 I need to do ./configure --with-installation-domain=SYSTEM and make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM?  I'd like to get these scripts done sometime today or tomorrow so that I can get the packages down already.
Yes.  That should work. :-)

Btw there is a new core/make/Documentation/README.Packaging file that should explain in full
all the options that are useful for building packages.  It's worth checking it (and if you find anything
not mentioned there, please report it! thanks). :-)

For example, the section on gnustep-base says ...

"GNUSTEP-BASE
------------

Once you have packaged gnustep-make, your next step is to package
gnustep-base.

gnustep-base has a number of configure options that you may want to
check; most of them have to do with locating the various libraries on
your platform.

One special thing about gnustep-base is that in some special cases
(most notably on MinGW) it needs to know the installation domain at
configure time.  So make sure to set GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN in
the environment *before* running configure.

The package build command sequence is the standard one and so would
look something like

 DESTDIR=/tmp/my-package
 export DESTDIR

 GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM
 export GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

 ./configure {maybe some options here}
 make
 make install

The only configure options that are really specific to GNUstep are the
ones controlling the location of the configuration file.

If you changed the location of the configuration file when you
configured gnustep-make by using the option --with-config-file as in

 ./configure --with-config-file=/etc/GNUstep.conf

then you need to make sure that gnustep-base's configure has found the
configuration file in its new location.  Check the output of
gnustep-base's configure; it should mention your special configuration
file location.

If it doesn't, you may need to configure gnustep-base using the
--with-config-file option, as in

 ./configure --with-config-file=/etc/GNUstep.conf

to make sure the correct file is used."