Re: Building on OSX

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Building on OSX
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:40:26 -0800

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
<glpunzi@lordzealon.com> wrote:
> I don't know if I understand it.
>
> Could be possible, on my project, for share code OSX<->Win/Linux, use
> something like:
>
> In a file core.h
>
> #ifdef OSX
>  # include <AppleFoundation>
>  //more code here
> #else
>  # include "GNUstep-library"
>  //more code here
> #endif
>

> An then, on my applicacion:
> #include "core.h"
>
> Of course, I'm talking about only using GNUstep objects, thath are Cocoa
> compatible true?.
> If this is possible, then, I can develop on my OSX machine, from Xcode and
> InterfaceBuilder, and ProjectCenter / Gorm, in Windows/Linux machines.
>
> I'm crazy? :D

Yeah I believe you understand what I was saying correctly,
though i've never really used xcode or project center,
if you write the code with compatibility in mind using the subsets of
gnustep and cocoa which are compatible
an application which was developed this way is GNUMail
http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail/, and in reverse
any software ported from OS X to GNUstep.

I've always used something like

#ifdef GNUSTEP
#include <GNUstepStuff...>
#else
#include <AppleStuff...>
#endif

since gnustep-make will define GNUSTEP automatically, and i'm not
aware of anything OS X defines automatically
iirc there is one for darwin, but that can conflict with people using
all of gnustep under darwin and people using cocoa/darwin (OS X),
but yeah if you want to define OSX in your xcode project and do that
by all means.