Re: Please test new NSLock implementation!

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Please test new NSLock implementation!
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:39:34 +0100

On 2 Sep 2009, at 14:12, David Chisnall wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've just committed a new version of all of the NSLock family of classes to GNUstep-base, and a slightly reworked NSThread. Bugs in this code have the potential to break any multithreaded applications, so please test them on your favourite platform, with your favourite applications. And on platforms you hate with apps you can't stand, for that matter.

As a result of this change, GNUstep now depends directly on POSIX threads. If you are building on Windows, you will need to download the pthread-win32 package from here:

http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/

Any clues on getting this working in mswindows?

Grabbing the latest executable from a sourceforge mirror, I put the headers in mingw/include and the libraries in mingw/lib ...
That was sufficient for the headers to be found, but I got tis ..

 Linking library libgnustep-base ...
obj/NSLock.m.o: In function `i_NSLock__init':
C:/GNUstep/home/richard/devmodules/core/base/Source/NSLock.m:165: undefined reference to `_imp__pthread_mutexattr_init' C:/GNUstep/home/richard/devmodules/core/base/Source/NSLock.m:165: undefined reference to `_imp__pthread_mutexattr_settype' C:/GNUstep/home/richard/devmodules/core/base/Source/NSLock.m:165: undefined reference to `_imp__pthread_mutex_init'

and lots more similar messages.

I'm guessing that gnustep-make needs updating to find the thread library and add it? Do you know what the link arguments should be?

Another thing ...do we need to build/use a different version of the objc runtime too? Presumably the runtime needs to be built with the same thread library as the rest of the system.