Re: A few questions

From: Zack -
Subject: Re: A few questions
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:28:28 -0700 (PDT)

I see your point, it is better not to get Apple
angry, even if 1000's of websites have hijacked
Apple's look and feel e.g. by using Aqua-like
buttons. They are not quite terrorists like RIAA but
they are proven to be litigious.

Still, there persists in the free software area
a problem needing a solution: Multiple widget/toolkit
systems, namely GTK+ and KDE, plus older stuff,
the coexistence of which is not an insignificant factor
preventing wider adoption of free software and
free OSes.

If GNUstep could be developed into something
superior to replace GTK+, KDE, Motif and the rest,
it could solve the desktop problem.

A first step in popularizing GNUstep might be to
approach graphic designers to request that they
work on a better look and feel for GNUstep. Then
take a vote and choose a new default. The original
NeXT look and feel is dull and out of date,
like bad 1980's music.

As for Hackintosh people using payware,
I can't blame them. They're practical and they
need the best tool at the lowest cost.
They can't afford to become free software partisans,
because the opportunity cost of going without
Apple's OS and apps is (for them) higher than
the benefits of using Linux etc.

-Zack