Re: GNUstep dev environment

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep dev environment
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:18:41 +0000

On 8 Nov 2009, at 21:19, HalypH wrote:

Hi all,
I'm newbie in GNUstep (and in Objective-C). What is the best dev environment for GNUstep? I'm using text editor (Vim) and console build, plus 'insight' as gdb front-end. But it doesn't like fast development environment for me.

I use vim in a terminal window for editing and I use gdb from the command line too.

That's fast for me (I don't really like IDEs), though you can use an IDE such as ProjectCenter.app if that's your preference. I guess you would say that I'm a 'power user' (ie someone familiar with the tools), so a command line environment will probably always provide more control and flexibility than a gui environment IDE can.

If you want to use GNUstep for GUI development, then I'd recommend using Gorm.app (to design/implement your gui).
If you want to design/build themes, then you should use Thematic.app
If you want to write server applications, then you don't need any special tools.