GNUstep FOSDEM devroom request proposal

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: GNUstep FOSDEM devroom request proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 02:16:32 +0100

Hi,

I am going to make the following request for a devroom at FOSDEM on thursday or friday. If you have any additional input or are member of a GNUstep related project which wants to join in please let me know.

Notes:
- this proposal has to appeal to the FOSDEM organizers, for that reason it is a little bit more "to the front" than usual. - There are some generalisations in this. I know that GNUstep consists out of at least two frameworks and that we are not fully Cocoa compatible yet (but we aim for it), I don't know some better phrasing now. If you can come up with something more to the point - please let me know. - I am just a little nobody who wants to help out GNUstep a little ;-) by organizing FOSDEM for GNUstep. But FOSDEM asks for a title - so is it o.k. if I put a "community manager" hat on just for this occasion?

------------ snip ------------

devroom name: *

The name or topic of the devroom

Planet GNUstep - a collaboration of GNUstep related projects

devroom description: *

A description of the devroom: its topic, goals and target projects.

participating projects:

- GNUstep

GNUstep is a free, object-oriented, cross-platform, OpenStep/Cocoa API compatible framework and development environment.

- Étoilé

Étoilé is an innovative GNUstep based user environment designed from the ground up around the things people do with computers: create, collaborate, and learn.

- GAP - the GNUstep Application Project

The GNUstep Application Project provides a comprehensive set of administration and user level tools to make using GNUstep based environments a very pleasant experience. Part of the charter of this project is not only to write new tools, but also to port existing NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Cocoa applications to GNUstep as well.

- QuantumSTEP / mySTEP

QuantumSTEP is a Mac-like Application Platform that can be installed on existing mobile Linux devices (Openmoko, Zaurus, Letux, ...) aiming at highest level of useage, data and application source code compatibility (to the Macintosh platform) prepared for perfect data exchange and sync.

goals:

- teach interested developers how to write cross platform applications or port Cocoa applications to Linux BSD and Windows using GNUstep
- share news about the latest development and plans on GNUstep
- improve collaboration between the several GNUstep related projects
- using GNUstep to write applications for mobile devices ((e.g. Openmoko, Beagleboard)
- code sprints, hacking, discussing
- what else?

devroom related URLs: *

Some URLs related to the devroom request and projects (one URL per line)

http://gnustep.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNUstep

http://etoileos.com/

http://gap.nongnu.org/

http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=About
http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=mySTEP

devroom day(s): *
 Saturday from 12:00 to 18:00
 Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00
Select which day(s) you would like to request the devroom for.

[x] Saturday from 12:00 to 18:00
[x] Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00

name of the responsible: *

Name of the devroom responsible.

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Richard Frith-Macdonald

email: *

Contact email of the responsible.

lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de
richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk

relation to the topic: *

How the devroom responsible relates to the topic of the devroom (developer of a project or community manager or ...)

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf is a community manager for GNUstep
Richard Frith-Macdonald is a GNUstep core team member/developer

comments/remarks:

Optionally, any comments or questions you have.

GNUstep is a good match for FOSDEM since the target audience of GNUstep are developers who want to develop cross platform (Unix, Windows, Mac) GUI or server side applications or command line tools using state of the art object oriented Frameworks.

As you might have noticed I did a little editing to some aspects of the self representation of the respective projects (just to make the stuff a little snappier) If you have objections with any of the above please let me know so I can correct this before submitting this to the FOSDEM organizers.

regards,

        Lars