Re: Sudden death of all GNUstep apps.

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Sudden death of all GNUstep apps.
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 21:27:31 +0100

On 23 May 2010, at 19:26, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Most likely due to the fact that you are using an outdated
> version of gdnc.

This sounds like a very likely explanation.  One problem that I've occasionally
come across is that gdnc, or some other daemon that you connect to via DO, does
not get restarted automatically when you update GNUstep, libobjc, or any other
library (it has no way of knowing that you've installed a new library).  This
can mean that apps at the opposite ends of a DO connection are using different,
binary-incompatible, libraries, which will cause this kind of problem.

With gdnc, it's not a huge problem, because gdnc is started on demand
automatically.  You should just be able to kill it and let it restart.  I'm
still suspicious of why one of the type signatures was complete nonsense though
- this is indicative of a bug somewhere else, although it might not be the
cause of your problem.

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine