Problem building with 'Native Objc Exceptions' enabled

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Problem building with 'Native Objc Exceptions' enabled
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:36:13 +0100

I'm trying to build the latest stable GNUstep - using make version
2.4.0 and base version 1.20.0 (and also base 1.20.1) - with Native
Objective C Exceptions enabled, on openSUSE 11.2 (gcc version 4.4.1).

The GWorkspace build fails because the configure script in
GWMetadata/gmds does not detect the presence of PDFKit, even though
PDFKit is actually present.

It seems that the trial compilation performed by the configure script
to check for the presence of PDFKit is failing, for a reason other
than non-presence of PDFKit. The relevant section of config.log says:

configure:2773: checking for PDFKit
configure:2801: gcc -o conftest -xobjective-c  -I/usr/include
-I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c
- -lgnustep-gui -lPDFKit >&5
In file included from
/usr/include/Foundation/NSClassDescription.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/Foundation/Foundation.h:49,
                 from conftest.c:8:
/usr/include/Foundation/NSException.h:42:2: error: #error The current
setting for native-objc-exceptions does not match that of
/ gnustep-base ... please correct this.
configure:2808: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <Foundation/Foundation.h>
|                     #include <AppKit/AppKit.h>
|                     #include <PDFKit/PDFDocument.h>
| int
| main ()
| {
| [PDFDocument class];
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2835: result: no
configure:2842: The PDFKit framework can't be found.
configure:2844: The pdf extractor will not be built.

I think this error comes from NSException.h, which contains:

#import <GNUstepBase/GSConfig.h>

#if     defined(_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS)
#define USER_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS       1
#else
#define USER_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS       0
#endif
#if     BASE_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS != USER_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS
#error  The current setting for native-objc-exceptions does not match
#that of gnustep-base ... please correct this.
#endif

GNUstepBase/GSConfig.h has:

#define BASE_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS     1

which is, I think, correct, and the _NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS flag is
set in usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/common.make:

 OBJCFLAGS += -fexceptions -fobjc-exceptions
-D_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS

so one would expect the test in NSException.h to succeed - except
that the OBJCFLAGS do not appear to be used for the test compilation
shown in the above config.log.

Any suggestions?

--
    Richard Stonehouse