Updates on URL, browsing, Preferences and Workspace

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Updates on URL, browsing, Preferences and Workspace
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:17:49 +0200

Hi,
I just want to update you all on some small improvements that were achieved in the Workspace and in Vespucci. I described the updates on my blog, so I will refer to that for more details and for screenshots. Thanks to Wolfgang which improved NSWorkspace and helped me to trace down several bugs and to Nikolaus who continues to work on SWK as well to Richard who fixed the bugs I found in NSURL.

SystemPreferences:
A new Internet module is now available which allows the selection of the default browser used by NSWorkspace when opening URLs. Read More: http://multixden.blogspot.com/2010/10/internet-module-for-systempreferences.html

GWorkspace:
As a result of NSWorkspace and enhancements in Vespucci itself, it is now possible to open HTML files directly in the browser and it is possible to open .webloc files created on the Mac. THe browser will open with the URL specified inside the file

Vespucci (browser) and SWK (webkit implementation)
- it properly registers docyment types correctly and honours them
- opens -webloc files (this does not pass through GWorkspace)
- allows the browsing of our Reference documentation, including Frames, from local files too
- links have tooltips

Read More:
http://multixden.blogspot.com/2010/10/browsing-gnustep-documentation.html
http://multixden.blogspot.com/2010/10/vespucci-and-swk-news-update.html

Most of the fixes mentioned will help also when other browsers will be ported. Currently we have only Vespucci (and SWK Browser, the testbed of SWK) so perhaps the user did not see the shortcomings of the existing NSWorkspace limitations.

Cheers,
   Riccardo