Re: Can't Get Program To Compile--Help

From: jokerClay
Subject: Re: Can't Get Program To Compile--Help
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:18:01 -0800 (PST)

Richard,

Thanks for your reply.  I have the Mingw32 shell window and that's where I'm
trying to compile the files.  I do not have a make file though.
On 26 Jan 2011, at 01:46, jokerClay wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to learn Objective-C on a Windows Vista machine.  I have
> installed the GNUstep installs for Windows and have successfully compiled
> "Hello World" program.  I thought I was home free to start getting into
> some
> coding until I tried the next tutorial that imported some files i.e.
> "Foundation/NSObject.h".  At first, I was getting "Foundation/NSObject.h
> no
> file or directory found" error.

Then something is badly wrong ... either things aren't installed properly
(which is pretty impossible if you installed from a package), or you are
doing something wrong.
>From past experience the most likely errors are:

1. Trying to work from a DOS window etc where the environment is not
properly set up.  The package installation process should have left you with
a shortcut labelled 'GNUstep' ... and clicking on that should get you to a
Mingw32 shell window in which you can build software with all the correct
environment variables set up.

2. Trying to build without using gnustep-make to pass the correct arguments
to the compiler.  You should be compiling simply by typing 'make'.  There
are tutorials on using gnustep-make (eg.
http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/WritingMakefiles/index.html)