Re: Can't build gnustep-gui from svn revision 31979.

From: Csanyi Pal
Subject: Re: Can't build gnustep-gui from svn revision 31979.
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:06:08 +0000

Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> writes:

> Most likely this error has nothing to do with gui, but comes from an
> incorrectly build or installed GNUstep base. The plist merge tool just
> happens to be the first GNUstep application you are running.
>
> Best thing to do is make sure that you have a current version of base
> and recompile that. If the problem persists, try to run the tests in the
> base test suite (can be found in SVN tests/testsuite/). If these fail
> they will give you a detailed picture of the problem, if they succeed we
> will need some information about your system to go ahead.

OK, I did 'svn up' in the core/base/ directory and then run commands:
./configure --with-ffi-include=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/
successfully but running
make
get errors:
 Linking library libgnustep-base ...
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libz.a(crc32.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libz.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)
make[4]: *** [obj/libgnustep-base.so.1.21.1] Error 1
make[3]: *** [internal-library-all_] Error 2
make[2]: *** [libgnustep-base.all.library.variables] Error 2
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

My system is Debian GNU/Linux SID.

I have downloaded zlib from here:
http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz

and installed it because Etoile need it.

I want to install GNUstep from svn because I want to install Etoile. I'm
following instructions from here:
http://etoileos.com/downloads/installtrunk/

--
Best Regards,