Re: Basic questions about Gorm

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Basic questions about Gorm
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 00:34:35 +0200

Hi,
Hi all,

First I'd like to say that I'm still a newbie in all things Objective-C, so please excuse me if my questions sound too basic or just plain stupid. My only experience has been using Xcode on the Mac, and with UIKit (and have only used a few widgets about it so far). When using Gorm to draw a simple interface, the following doubts came up:

I think you should familiarize with AppKit first. Do it on the mac with a tutorial for 10.2 ... 10.4 and you should find concepts very similar to GNUstep. and quite applicable. We support also 10.5 and 10.6 features, but the developer app paradigm did not follow apple's. We still distinguish between the project builder and the interface builder and I'm happy it is as it is, apple is changing many thing gratuitously so it can make shiny new features which each release.
- I dragged a "Title" to my window, but I found no way to change its caption. The Inspector only allows to change the color and alignment properties. Does this need to be changed programatically?
As "Title" do you mean a box? You may edit some properties in the inspector, some other direclty by double-clicking the text in the window (sometimes triple-click, the first needs to select the item)
- I found no way to create connections between outlets by dragging like I do in Xcode. How is this done? (It may simply be that I don't have any connectable properties yet!)
Exactly like in InterfaceBuilder: ctrl-drag from source to target, then int he inspector select the action or outlet. Beware that it needs to exist. To do this you either need to load the class to parse the header (you can quite safely reparse it) or add it manually with the correct name. You you can create all outlets and generate the headers automatically.
- Using @property for my controls had errors. Is this not supported in GNUStep? (It's OK, if it isn't, I don't have a problem with manually creating my properties).
that's obj-c 2.0 stuff. You need gcc 4.6 or clang.

You may want to check out the classic calculator tutorial by Pierr Yves which was recently updated to current gnustep tools.

http://www.gnustep.org/experience/PierresDevTutorial/index.html

Riccardo