Re: Creating file on Windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Creating file on Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 23:55:11 +0100

On 12 Apr 2011, at 20:19, Stefan Bidi wrote:

> I have the following code on a Windows machine:
>
>       char buffer[3] = {'a', 'b', 'c'};
>       NSString *filename = @"/c/Analyzer Data/output.csv";
>       file = [NSFileHandle fileHandleForWritingAtPath: filename];
>       NSLog (@"%@", file);
>       [file writeData: [NSData dataWithBytes: buffer length: 3]];
>
> The file never gets created.  The directory C:\Analyzer Data\ exists and is
> writable by the user but -fileHandleForWritingPath: returns nil (per the
> NSLog).
>
> This machine has the latest stable Windows binary release.  Any suggestions?
> I'm sure I'm missing something simple, just don't know what.

The path '/c/Analyzer Data/output.csv' is a relative path on the current drive
... if your current drive is C: then it's equivalent to the absolute path
'C:/c/Analyzer Data/output.csv'
Now, if 'C:/c/Analyzer Data/' does not exist, it can't create a file, and in
any case it wouldn't create a file in 'C:/Analyzer Data/'

When working with paths, for portability, you should not hard-code paths ...
rather you should use the API functions to obtain paths to standard logical
locations and manipulate them by adding and removing path components.