NSImage and ICNS

From: Austin Clow
Subject: NSImage and ICNS
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:08:37 -0500

Since I am porting an application from Mac OS X to GNUstep, I have a lot of
.icns. I have already reported a bug (#33475) about NSImage using the smallest
image from the .icns. That has been changed, it seems so that the largest is
the default. Tho I am not entirely certain because I am seeing a few issues
with .icns still.

The first thing that is clear is in GWorkspace (so I am not sure if the issues
rests in that app specifically or AppKit). I replaced common_Folder.tiff with
common_Folder.icns (attached to this file), to see what the effect would be.
What you notice is that the representation for the size required by the icon is
not being drawn. (at least now it is the biggest being scaled down, rather than
the smallest being scaled up as it was before)

The other thing is evident in the Tiles, and the icon that is drawn there. I
have a .icns file for my application's icon. It seems that the icon is not
being scaled at all but is rather being clipped.

I am refraining from posting this to the bug database until I am sure what is
going on and where it is originating. I believe this is stemming from the fact
that representations (of multiple sizes at least) are not common on GNUstep and
so perhaps GWorkspace, NSImageVIew et cetera have not been programmed with that
expectation, and that work will need to be done.