Re: gcc warnings

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: gcc warnings
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:41:59 +0200

Hi all,

>> I am cross-building on GNUstep/Solaris and MacOSX. When I build code like
>>
>>    NSString *message = @"some string"
>>    [NSException raise:NSInternalInconsistencyException format:message];
>>
>> on MacOSX 10.6 using GNUstep make, gcc gives the following warning
>>
>>      SOEditingContext.m:3574: warning: format not a string literal and no
>> format arguments
>>
>> Any idea how to get rid of that one?
>

>   [NSException raise:NSInternalInconsistencyException format:  @"%@",
> message];
>
> The warning is because it can't do a compile time check of message to see if
> it's a valid format string ... you need to use a string literal as the format
> string.

Thanks for your feedback! I know that this prevents the warning, but I can't do
that. The message is calculated by some method and then returned as a string. I
then need to raise the exception with the readily build string. If NSException
had a +[raise:string:] method I would use that, but it hasn't! :-(

I have the same problem with NSLog(). I am again building the message somewhere
and get it as a NSString. I then simply want to log it out and get the above
warning.

   NSLog([localException description]);

That's simply annoying! :-( Isn't there some compiler switch that could be used
to suppress these kind of warnings?

Thanks a lot,

 Andreas