Re: ANN: DataBasin 0.4

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ANN: DataBasin 0.4
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:57:05 +0100

Hi,

Richard Stallman wrote:
This program is free software, but Sales Force seems like SaaS.
How about making a free local replacement for it, starting from RT?

Indeed, the program is free, but Salesforce is SaaS. That's the main point of DataBasin, allow people using free operating systems and platforms the freedom to interact with Salesforce. A longer term goal is to allow direct integration with free applications.

I don't think that a "local" version makes much sense at all. However, the "free" world will eventually need to make up its mind on how to cope with Saas and "the cloud". That's where the current hype is going and even with all the hot air and smoke, there is some substance. I don't have idea what the answer or the answers will be. But it is something that must be taken in consideration. GNUstep could expand its GSWeb and use it as a foundation, however there is much more behind it to build a platform.

On the short term, one can build open stuff using the platform service like Heroku or more limitedly the force.com platform itself. However it doesn't feel like the real solution of course. Neither is just slapping a free app on an amazon E2C instance. The cloud itself is pretty undefined yet... so much ado.

However, I hope it doesn't turn out how the "free" desktop alternatives: many versions, none really complete, stable or better than the proprietary ones, when the world is already moving beyond the traditional desktop.

Just some thoughts and rants of course.

Riccardo