GNUstep Menu on multiple Monitors under Linux

From: James Jordan
Subject: GNUstep Menu on multiple Monitors under Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:20:11 -0800

I remember having this problem with multiple monitors of differing resolutions,
I believe it is an X-Windows problem that can be adjusted.  The problem is
basically that X-Windows creates a rectangle as high as the highest vertical
resolution and as wide as all of the horizontal resolutions added together.  In
your case I believe you have something like this:

                            _____________________________________
                            |                                   |

______________|                                   |

|                           |                                   |

|                           |                                   |

|                           |                                   |

(Can probably only see that if you are using plain text)

Basically the problem is that the left-most screen does not start at 0,0 but
something like 0,150 (X-Win defaults to that so that the "normal" task/launch
bar across the bottom of the screens does not get cut off).  Most current Linux
distributions handle X-Win configurations on the fly (so no config file to
edit) but you should be able to use xrandr to adjust.  There are Gui
implementations of xrandr for some of the desktops.  I use a short xrandr
script to adjust my laptop display when I hook it up to an external monitor
(but I have to restart WindowMaker because it cannot handle it).