Re: gorm needs writeable and executable mappings?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gorm needs writeable and executable mappings?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:55:14 +0000

On 20 Jan 2012, at 13:18, Rogelio Serrano wrote:

> i cant run gorm on a pax kernel. i get this error:
>
> 2012-01-20 21:04:49.737 Gorm[4283] Failed to protect memory as executable: m
> Killed
>
> this is a error message from nsinvocation.m. i dont know exactly where
> gorm calls protect. is this a bug in gorm or nsinvocation.m?

Neither ... both are functioning fine ... it's a pax 'feature'.

You need to use the paxctl program to disable mprotect restrictions.
Unfortunately, I think paxctl only works for a single binary ... it would be
nicer to disable mprotect restrictions for the entire system (pax's decision to
cripple mprotect is, at best, debatable), but I don't know if that's possible.