Re: Ubuntu 11.10 packages from svn

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 11.10 packages from svn
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:03:28 +0200

At Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:38:52 +0100,
Ivan Vučica wrote:
> Core libraries are the most important for people to be able to start
> developing. Once core libs are set up, apps for GNUstep are
> trivially built.

Not true at all, unfortunately.  For every major GNUstep upgrade, we
(Debian maintainers) are patching nearly half of the apps in the
archive.  Sometimes it's straightforward, sometimes not.  All I can
tell is it takes time and effort, especially in our case where human
resources are scarce.

> But, if gnustep-make gets the ability to produce the debian/ folder
> (and .debs) from GNUmakefiles, like it currently produces .nsi files
> for NSIS, there is no need to add support to individual apps. Unless
> customization is desired.

That would be quite a project.  The standard/recommended practices for
maintaining Debian packages are evolving constantly, sometimes at a
pace which makes it hard for us to keep up.