Re: Article criticizing Linux in the Economist - large need of software

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Article criticizing Linux in the Economist - large need of software support time
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:04:59 +0200

Hi,

to me, the article looks like the typical rant you read on many blogs or which we have written often ourselves. Just subsitute the distribution name with your distribution and the applications with your applications.

Open Source gives diversity... diversity is unmanageable.
People want new stuff, new features (useful or useles). Some people wnat to see change at every release, some people hate change and want things very gradual.

In our small ecosystem, we see how different view we have for GNustep itself!

Ubuntu has a filosphy many love, other despise... etc etc.

I fear that the concept of a "linux desktop" is somehow hopeless. It will always be a mess. From time to time, someone "extracts" a more unitarian view.. In the past it had been redhat or Linspire or whatever.. Right now perhaps it is Ubuntu... but it will appeal some, last a little until something new comes out.

This is why I work so much on gnustep and GAP: I shape my own little world and don't care about the rest. It will never really be!

Your article however doesn't cite a solution and.. I don't think "testing" is the only response.

Althoug surely, delivering high quality software, tested, which doesn't break at every new release what you had in the past will appeal to more professional users and will, with time, help gaining some popularity. I think tha tup to now GNUstep went into this direction quite well. But we have a very limited application pool... most of them are essentially in maintenance mode and managed by few people. Few people menas few conflicting ideas!

Riccardo