Re: Using vim to contribute to GNUstep

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Using vim to contribute to GNUstep
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:34:52 +0200

Hi Eric!

On 15. 5. 2012., at 04:40, Eric Wasylishen wrote:

Hi Ivan,

I'm not sure about vim. Try this maybe? http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FormattingCodeForGCC

Looks like these work!

For future reference, this is the modeline I used:

/* vim: set cindent cinoptions=>4,n-2,{2,^-2,:2,=2,g0,h2,p5,t0,+2,(0,u0,w1,m1 shiftwidth=2 softtabstop=2 textwidth=79 fo-=ro fo+=cql: */

Use of this requires "set modeline" to appear in vimrc.

I've always used emacs when working on GNUstep, as it indents ObjC code in the GNU style used in GNUstep right out of the box.

Some features I find handy in emacs:

"alt+/"   autocompletes the current word similar to vim's ctrl+p - handy for filling in long ObjC method names
"alt+x add-changelog-entry"   adds an entry to a ChangeLog file

Adding change log entries might be handy.

Thanks to everyone else who responded! I'll look into Emacs one of these days, despite being on the "other side" of the religious war :-)