GNUTLS now a hard requirement for -base?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: GNUTLS now a hard requirement for -base?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 23:01:41 +0200

Hi all,

looks like GNUTLS is now a *hard* requirement for -base? Documentation -- that is, the INSTALL file shipping with -base -- still states openssl is an optional install, and doesn't mention GNUTLS in any way.

Having libssl-dev package on Ubuntu installed doesn't help.

I had to install libgnutls-dev to compile; without it, even with libssl-dev, I get the following error:

checking for xsltApplyStylesheet in -lxslt... no

You do not appear to have usable libxslt headers/library.
Building without them will disable the XSLT extensions.
If you really want to build gnustep-base without XSLT support,
add --disable-xslt to the configure arguments to avoid warning.
configure: WARNING: Missing support for XSLT functionality.
checking for libgnutls-config... no
checking for libgnutls - version >= 1.4.0... no
*** The libgnutls-config script installed by libgnutls could not be found
*** If libtgnuls was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path.
no

You do not appear to have usable libgnutls headers/library.
Building without them will disable SSL/TLS/HTTPS in NSStream
and NSConnection.
If you really want to build gnustep-base without TLS support,
add --disable-tls to the configure arguments.
configure: error: Missing support for TLS functionality.
make: *** [base.make] Error 1

I do see that I can add --disable-tls, but shouldn't that be done automatically? I understand the reasons why one may want to force users to explicitly add this, nonetheless that was not the practice with OpenSSL.

Would --disable-tls also disable the use of OpenSSL?

--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net