Re: Script for installation on Ubuntu updated

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Script for installation on Ubuntu updated
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 23:17:23 +0200

On 19.05.2012 23:15, Ivan Vučica wrote:
Hi all,

The script I already mentioned a couple of times is updated, and now also
lives in a Mercurial repository instead of on my Dropbox account.

https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/gnustep-ubuntu

It's updated for latest GNUstep (which now seems to require libgnutls-dev),
and is verified to work on latest Ubuntu LTS - that is, 12.04 -- that I've
switched to. I've also added installation of libxslt-dev, which was not
previously installed in the script.

On a 2009 MacBook, longest step of the installation is (naturally) clang,
and takes between half an hour and an hour. I'm quite happy with the
experience; while the installation process is lengthy, by replacing
compiling step of clang with a precompiled version would probably make the
installation speedy enough to make a casual Linux user or a new GNUstep
developer happy. For now, however, I'm trying to make sure that the
installed GNUstep offers the most features, so installing clang from source
is probably not a bad idea. (Depending on how much clang is in flux, that
is.)

I'd love it if someone would verify the steps that I'm taking and inform me
of any extraneous ones.

I had a short look at your script. It looks nice and simple to me. One question though, why did you have to specific "--enable-graphics=cairo" for GNUstep back? This should be the default and has been so for quite some time.

Fred