Re: Cocoa/GNUStep compatible build

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Cocoa/GNUStep compatible build
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 00:07:05 +0200

On 2. 9. 2012., at 15:58, Steve Van Voorst <svanvoorst@hughes.net> wrote:

<<I want to write a command line app in Objective C that needs to run on Linux and Mac. I read I can use Foundation on Linux using GNUStep.  Do I need the whole of GNUStep, or can I just depend on Foundation?>>

In my experience, you need both <Foundation/Foundation.h> and <AppKit/AppKit.h>.

Just to clear this up: if you are writing a command line tool, you definitely only need to include Foundation headers and link with Foundation. In fact, you don't even need to do that if you won't be using any classes from Foundation/gnustep-base. For example, you might write your own root class and use standard C input/output functions.

Regarding "app", we commonly call the command line stuff tools, not apps, in GNUstep; if it's a GUI program, then it's an app.

AppKit includes graphical components, such as windows, textfields, tabviews, et cetera. Unless you're writing a graphical app, you almost certainly don't need to include AppKit nor link with it.