GNUstep QuartzCore demo video

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: GNUstep QuartzCore demo video
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 19:57:29 +0200

Hi all,

I finally got around to booting Ubuntu and recording the QuartzCoreDemo. I could've done this weeks ago under OS X, but due to certain broken functionality in Opal that I never got around to investigating and working around (gradients!) the demo doesn't look the same under GNUstep. This is solely due to images supplied to CALayers by the Core Graphics layer not being the same.

In any case, here are the videos of the project as it worked on August 20, 2012, the "pencils down" deadline set by the good folks administering Google Summer of Code 2012.

Mini site containing just the video in the free Ogg Theora format:
  http://ivan.vucica.net/gsquartzcore/

YouTube video:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s46CouOabo

Demo demonstrates opacity and animating opacity, 3D transforms and animating them, using animation of contentRect in conjunction with animation of bounds to obtain cool effect of text slowly appearing. It demonstrates drawing text into Core Animation layers, and also includes minimalist hacks for the "button" layers on the right. There are also some shadows; they're hard to spot, but that's perhaps because I'm very used to seeing shadows in UI nowadays.

Some self-criticism of the demo:
Are some of the effects done in the optimal way that would be available under Apple platforms? No. For example, text-slowly-appearing should have been painted using masks. However, GSQC doesn't currently include masking; that's Coming Soon(tm), in a Valve time manner. :)

In any case, it's a nice demo of the potential, and hopefully more people will spend the time required to get the library and the demo up and running.
--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net