Re: Mouse cursor update bug

From: A. Arias
Subject: Re: Mouse cursor update bug
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:37:16 -0600

El mar, 28-08-2012 a las 17:57 -0300, Jamie Ramone escribió:
> I've been puttering around with Ubuntu 10.04 + Macbuntu and installed
> (read: built by hand) the GNUstep development environment. I installed
> the basic GNUstep libs, GORM, Project Center, System Preferences, plus
> a few example apps. I've seen this bug EVERY TIME I use GNUstep apps.
> It doesn't show up very much on the example apps, some times on System
> Pereferences and GORM, and ALWAYS on Project center. It seems to be
> related to the use of browser text and split-view objects. The only
> way to get the cursor back seems to be quitting and re-starting the
> app. It'll show up on the first run of Project Center, though not
> immediately.
>
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Stefan Bidi <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Yes, from time to time this happens for me too. I never found a ay to
> >> reproduce this relyable, so I gave up chasing it. Hopefully you have more
> >> luck here.
> >> Remember to turn off the NSMenu mouse capture when trying to debug this
> >> issue.
> >
> > I have no idea where to even start debugging this problem, but I've
> > found a way to reproduce this every time.
> >
> > First, log out and log back into your account.  For some reason the
> > problem is only reproducible on the first application you open.  I'm
> > using Gemas from gnustep-nonfsf svn to reproduce the bug.  Type
> > "openapp --debug Gemas" and run.  Go to Documents->Open..., and double
> > click on the "Name:" text box in the open dialog box.  The mouse
> > cursor will be permanently stuck on "I" cursor until you restart the
> > application.  Going through these same steps after the application has
> > already run once for the same session will not reproduce the bug.  You
> > need to log out and start a new session for it to show up again.
> >
> > Let me know what else I can do to help here.  Keep in mind that even
> > after years using GNUstep I still consider most of what gui/back does
> > to be black magic.
> >
> > Stef

Some info.

After do some test, I notice that line 168 in NSCursor.m:

[GSCurrentServer() standardcursor: style : &c];

Sometimes do nothing. So GNUstep try to build its how cursor, using the
method -arrowCursor:. However gnustep don't provide an image
"common_ArrowCursor.tiff" and NSCursor don't check it. So stores nil
with the name GSArrowCursor. Looking this, I added an image
"common_ArrowCursor.tiff" and map it with the name GSArrowCursor. But
when I test this solution I get the error:

X-Windows error - BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter)
        on display: :0
              type: 0
     serial number: 6852
      request code: 2

Googling I don't found useful information about this error.