Re: clang vs gcc 4.7

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: clang vs gcc 4.7
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 22:20:15 +0100

On 4. 3. 2013., at 21:16, Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Saying blocks are bloat sounds to me like saying automatic reference counting
> is bloat because you can do the same with explicit retain/release calls.

*cough* Hm. Nope. :-)

ARC introduces C++-style "magic" into things that work in a C-style "obvious"
way. Block, similarly, do "magic" with variables in function's scope. What
magic? Large parts of STL, for example. Ability to override operators. Ability
to very easily introduce ambiguousness e.g by providing overloads that accept
both const char* and std::string. I could list many other things that I (and
others) feel makes C++ a mess, but which are quite useful.

Anyway, I see uses for both ARC and blocks. Especially blocks. I can't get over
their ugliness, however, and prefer using selector-based handling for all but
simplest handlers. Do I like having blocks? Definitely. And ARC can help
newcomers.

That doesn't mean I don't feel about them like some other people feel about
dot-syntax of properties. Useful, but not  for me.

Back on-topic: Right now, for Objective-C, gcc's upside is its
ubiquitousness... And that's about it. Maybe that changes in the future. For
now, I'm willing to spend a LOT of time (and disk space) building Clang; if for
no other reason, then because more new code will build with it.

Regards,

Ivan Vučica
via phone