GNUstep distro

From: Liam Proven
Subject: GNUstep distro
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 16:32:35 +0100

This may be a silly question - forgive me if so.

Is there a current GNUstep-based distribution, at all?

I have been experimenting with Window Maker and many of the GNUstep
apps recently, but my efforts to find a desktop distro based around
this have been in vain. I am aware of Window Maker Live and Simply
GNUstep, but both are now very dated indeed.

Pretty much all the tools to create one are in the Debian
repositories, and thus also in Ubuntu. By "all the tools", I mean a
window manager, text editor, terminal, image viewer, calculator, email
client, media player, etc. The only items missing are the big
productivity apps - an office suite, web browser and chat client.
Fortunately those are easily obtained, although of course they do not
share the look & feel.

However, there are some problems which suggest to me that the
components in the Debian repos are long-neglected.

E.g., menu generation in Window Maker is broken, although there is a
workaround; the wdm desktop manager is unable to shutdown or reboot
the machine; and the FSviewer file manager app is missing, although
its icon set is still present.

I have also found that the GWorkSpace app seems to conflict with
Window Maker itself - you get two Docks, for instance, one positioned
top-left in NeXT style and one centred, Mac OS X style. However, I
can't find how to add icons to the GWorkSpace dock, nor how to
customise its menus, so I have been more or less forced to base my
exploratory efforts around Window Maker, which offers quite good
customisability.

The closest seems to be the Étoilé project, but to put it mildly, they
really do not embrace the "release early, release often" mantra.
AFAICS they have never released so much as a demo version in around a
decade of work!

Would anyone be interested in helping me to produce a Window Maker-
and GNUstep-based Ubuntu remix, at all? I am collating the tools but I
am not very experienced in this area...

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884