Re: Darling

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Re: Darling
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:09:38 +0200

Yes. Unlike most of the other articles floating around the web - which
are just blindly copied from Phoronix - this one actually goes into
depth and adds some value.

Currently, I'm looking into getting some other stuff working, for now at
a very elementary level: AudioUnit, AudioConverter, CGL, CoreVideo, just
to get (first) mpg123 working and later on Angry Birds for OS X.

Angry Birds seem to be perfect for several reasons:

1) They're cool and everybody knows them. Good for "marketing".

2) Unlike most of applications I was working on, they're not available
on Linux. So no stupid questions why I'm working on Midnight Commander
for OS X.

3) They mostly rely on OpenGL and OpenAL for the real stuff, so they
shouldn't be all that hard to get working.

That being said, the most worrying factor remains gnustep-gui (other
gnustep libs are fine). The screenshots seen at Phoronix[1] come from
*the only* GUI app that ever actually worked with Darling/gnustep-gui. I
could, indeed, and would love to pitch in and help fix the issues in
gnustep-gui, but so far it has proved too complicated.

It made me so desperate that I started considering writing a Cocoa
reimplementation of my own on top of something well proven, such as Qt,
which I know very well and would, at the same time, allow me to avoid
doing a lot of boring low-level work.

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI0Njc

Luboš