Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 10:55:18 +0200

Hi,

Gregory Casamento wrote:

@bheron I also think a nice getting started would help. Jumping into wiki pages can be a bit daunting. Just a 0 to hello world.
Agreed, but I also think that wiki is important and a mean to have more live content. But some stuff needs to be on the webpage. A lot of stuff was just pointing to the wiki which should have been on the website, I reverted those changes a couple of days ago.

But lots of updating is still needed.

@bheron I’m glad you’re still working hard. I think the website needs an update. It just looks a little dated the screens as well
---
One of our biggest issues is that people just don't know what we're all about or that we're still around.
Stand still, and think about incremental updates. Start looking more about what is on the website and in the wiki. What is missing? what is wrong? what is old?

I have done quite a bit of that lately. You will start noticing:
1) there is actually a lot of stuff, not well interconnected
2) some stuff is easily updated
3) The worst: you can't update anything, because there is nothing to update, nothing new to report about!

We indeed have stuff that is just.... there. Replacing a screenshot with one that is as just broken/buggy/incomplete is of no use

We have the best framework out there, but if we don't get the word out people just won't use it.
Your framework can be presented by its "use", that is by applying it, that is by its applications. You make screenshots of apps... or write about case studies and real world-stories about server apps....

Also, the website is only a part of our presentation. Some people tweet, other use facebook. But most of the "new" stuff with screenshots is usually reported in blogs because it gets well indexed. I put in our developer and people list a link to their respective blog. If I missed somebody, please tell!

http://www.gnustep.org/developers/whoiswho.html

(David, you were completely missing, if you want a better description and want a link to one of your blogs, please just send me a private email).

I'd also remove some of the most historic people.... what do you think?

Riccardo

Riccardo